Tips On How To receive A Massage
You have made a wonderful decision to have a professional massage. There are over 25 million Americans who seek professional massage and bodywork each year. Here are some tips to help you have a pleasant experience.
- Ask questions before your massage so you can feel safe.
- Come early to your first appointment to fill out a confidential client form.
- Let your therapist know if there are any places you don’t want to be touched.
- Your therapist will leave the room while you undress to your comfort level. You will be draped during the massage with only the area being worked on uncovered at any given time. Breasts and genitals will never be exposed during the massage.
- A great way to start a massage is with a couple of deep breaths. Imagine blowing away any concerns about the past or the future! While the best massages are those with limited conversation, be sure to ask questions or express concerns at any time during the massage.
- When your tissues are being touched memories and emotions may be triggered. Your therapist is there to provide a safe and accepting space for healing to take place on all levels.
- We are sexual beings and for some of us this may be what touch means, however, your therapy is different. If sexual feelings occur, know that this is natural and try to let them pass, focusing on deep relaxation and let this touch be nurturing.
- Your therapist may move your neck and limbs during the massage. Try to stay loose and let go, your therapist is there to fully support you.
- When the massage is over, get up slowly and carefully from the table.
- Toxins may get “stirred up” during the massage. Be sure to drink lots of water over the next three days to help flush them out of your system.